Monday, March 7, 2011

Ni Hao wo de jiating he pungyou! (Hello my family and friends!)

Ni Hao wo de jiating he pungyou!
 
Wo ai nimen!  Xie Xie for all of your letters and dearelders.  Recieving mail is such an encouragement and brightens my day!
 
They took picture of the large group of missionaries at a Devotional the other night.  It is going to be used for an article in the NY Times.  Keep an eye out for that.  The Devotionals here are amazing, definitely a highlight in my week.  I had an epiphany at this last devotional.  The topic of perfection came up, and I usually hate that topic, because of my perfectionistic tendencies.  This time, the Spirit clarified to my heart where I needed a better understanding.  We are taught that me must strive to be perfect, and I had always interpreted that to mean that we needed to be perfect in every way (grades, intelligence, body image, social interactions, etc.) , but I learned today that when the scriptures say that, it is talking about sins.  When we do sin, we are imperfect, but we can become spotless and perfect again through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  It is such a wonderful gift, that our older Brother would suffer for our sins, so that we can become perfected through Him. 
 
We also had a Mission Conference this week, which felt like a devotional.  I felt so inspired to work harder and be a better missionary at this last one. 
 
I don't know what is wrong with me, but I am breaking everything.  This week, my camera and my alarm clock both broke.  Remember when I joked about breaking my camera so i could get a new one, well, it broke all on its own. 
 
Sister Jorgensen and I got to leave MTC campus the other day for her dermatologist appointment.  It felt weird.  I am getting very comfortable with my life in the MTC.  My schedule is rigid and very structured.  Yes Rachel, sometime I do get tired of my life being micromanaged here.  Sometimes I just want like an hour to do whatever I want, but I have consecrated my life to the Lord, and it is good for me to be always busy, doing the Lord's work. 
 
Chinese is always on my mind.  Our teachers speak mostly Chinese to us, and sometimes I understand and sometimes I don't.  I spend my MDT (Missionary Directed Time) studying Chinese and trying to memorize as much as I can.  It is so amazing how much I have learned in such a short time.  I have only been here a little over 2 weeks.  The Lord has definitely blessed me with the gift of tongues. 
 
There is an Elder in my district who really struggles with anxiety and depression.  My heart really goes out to him.  Anyway, I feel like I want to help him if I can.  One thought came to me that I shared with him.  Whether we feel happy or sad, it is a choice.  We are in control of how we feel.  Sometimes with life's misfortunes and chemical imbalances, it may feel really hard, but the Lord will lift us up if we come unto Him.
 
I have been feeling anxious a lot lately, and I know that it is the adversary trying to bring up past problems and bring me down.  The other day, I was having a bad day, and one of my Laoshimen shared a really good scripture, and I thought I would share it will you all.  It is Mosiah 24:13-14, "And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.  And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions."  It was exactly what I needed to hear and it spoke to my heart.  During trials it is good to remember the covenants we have made at baptism.  It will help to motivate us to do good.  We can't carry our burdens alone.  They will crush us.  We need to give our burdens to the Lord, through prayer, faith, and giving up pride.  I talked to my Branch President about my anxieties and I am going to talk to a counselor at the MTC.  Maybe they will have some good things to say to me, and I can once and for all overcome my anxieties and learn how to manage them.  I know that if I come unto Christ, He will help me. 
 
I have learned a lot about myself since I have been here.  The Lord loves each and every one of His children.  I love that I can be focused on the work and be myself.  All the sisters love me here, and that feels great.  They think I am witty, personable, and chill.  I love it!
 
We had our second teaching experience (TRC) on Saturday.  This time, we contacted for about 7 minutes in Chinese and bore our testimonies about how the gospel and bless families, and then later, we taught the same person in English the first lesson about the Restoration of the Gospel.  It was really good experience.  We learn that we must obtain the knowledge and the Spirit will guide us what to say.  That is so true. 
 
I know that this is the true Church of the Lord Jesus Christ and that it was restored from the Church that existed anciently when Christ was on the Earth, through Joseph Smith.  I know that Joseph Smith is a true prophet of God and that he did indeed see the Lord Jesus Christ and God the Father.  I know that Thomas S. Monson is also a true prophet of God.  I know that the Lord loves all of His children and wants each of us to be happy. 
 
Wo ai nimen! 
 
Sister Yancey
Yan Jie Mei


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments:

Post a Comment