Monday, February 28, 2011

The 2nd Letter!

Words you should know:


TRC: Teaching Resource Center


Contact: A person you just start to talk to who is a stranger (found on the street, park, train..ect...) with whom you have intentions of sharing the gospel.


Spirit/Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit: The third Person in the Godhead and his mission is to "testify of the Father and the Son, to reveal the truth (Book of Mormon,Moroni 10:4,5), to comfort us (John 14:26), and to sanctify us. He is a divine guide and teacher." (mormon.org)


Testimony: "A testimony is a spiritual witness given to an individual by the Holy Ghost. The foundation of a Mormon’s testimony is the knowledge that Heavenly Father lives and loves us; that Jesus Christ lives, that He is the Son of God, and that He carried out the infinite Atonement; that Joseph Smith is a prophet, which God called to restore Jesus Christ’s church to the earth; that we are led today by a living prophet; and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Savior’s Church restored on the earth today." (Mormon.org)


First Vision


Investigator: An individual who is learning more about the Church, normally with the intention of deciding whether or not they would like to become a member.
2.  An individual who is being taught by the missionaries.

Nonmember: A person who does not belong to the Church. (Mormonjargon.com)


Zones and Districts are just ways of organizing the Mission area. NYNY north Mission-> Zone-> District-> Companionship-> Missionary.


Preparation day (p-day): A day for missionaries to write family and friends,wash clothes, get a hair cut, clean apartment, shop, wash car, preparing to proselyte for the rest of the week. (p. 19, Missionary Handbook, 2006)


Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much to everyone who wrote me. It was so fun to hear from everyone, and I definitely felt everyone's love.  The easiest way for mail to me is through DearElder.com.  I don't have time to read emails on this account. 
I feel like I have so much to say and so little time.  I love the MTC!  That is not to say that it is always easy.  The adversary is as real here as anywhere else, but what a perfect place to be to learn about myself and my relationship with my Heavenly Father. 
There is an early morning exercise class for sisters only, and I went once this week.  It was aerobics, and I had to laugh at the hip-hop hymns that were used for music.  It was nice to have music.  (We are not permitted to listen to music, except hymns that we sing ourselves.)  I love gym!  We have it for a half an hour 5 days a week.  I usually run a mile or so.  My foot is not completely healed, but it is getting better.  Then I go play volleyball or four-square.  It is really funny.  Most of the people who play four-square are from the Chinese program.  That says something about us.  Hehe! 
I spend most of the day in the classroom learning Chinese and how to teach the gospel.  I love my spot in the classroom because I can see the beautiful mountains so close and also Angel Moroni from the Provo Temple.  I frequently reflect on how beautiful this Earth is that God created for us.  What a great gift!  We have had a lot of substitute teachers, since I have been here.  It will be nice when we have consistently.  I have two teachers, and I really like one of them.  Her name is Wei Laoshi, or Sister Whipple.  She reminds me of someone I would be friends with.  She knows Fenny, a friend from Taiwan. 
I taught my first real lesson.  Every Saturday, we go to the TRC.  We had to pretend to contact in the park IN CHINESE!  And then we taught a lesson in English to one of the three people that we contacted.  The Spirit was strong and it was a good experience.  I get super nervous when I have to teach, or even when role-playing, so I am praying for that and for me to have the Spirit direct my words. 
I am developing a really strong testimony of the First Vision.  For those of you who don't know what that is, Rachel can put a link on my blog.  Rachel, if you could also sometime define lds jargon, that would help save me on time.  I was being an "investigator" and sone elders in my zone were teaching me.  One of them started to recite the First Vision, and I felt the Holy Spirit so strongly.  I got that same feeling when Sister Jorgensen and I were teaching our investigator about.  (He wasn't a real investigator, but a man who volunteers so that we can practice.  Some people though who volunteer are nonmembers.  You just never know who you are going to get.)  I know that God, the Father, and Jesus Christ did appear to Joseph Smith in the Sacred Grove. 
One of the elders in my zone adores me.  Haha!  He told me a few days ago that I am his favorite sister missionary.  And yesterday, he told me that my spirit brightens the room and everyone can't help but love me. That was the nicest thing.  :o)
I am going to answer some questions now.
I have preparation day on Mondays and that lasts until 6:00pm.  Then my p-day is over. We go to the Temple on Monday mornings after breakfast.  I spend about 6-7 hours in class everyday, split between Chinese language study and teaching skills.  My teachers speak mostly in Chinse, and we are immersed in the language.  I am getting better slowly, very slowly, but surely.  I can't send pictures via the internet here, but I will print some off soon.  My roommates are all awesome.  Only my companion is in my district.  The other four girls are in a different district.  I like them all.  I especially adore my companion Sister Jorgensen.  She is perfect for me.  I do believe that companionships are inspired.  We are definitely very different people, but our strengths and weaknesses balance eachother out.  She always has me laughing, because she is hilarious. 
I love you all very much!  I am grateful for this opportunity to be a missionary!  What a wonderful gift from my Heavenly Father!  And thank you to everyone who has helped to make this possible for me.  Wo ai nimen! 
Love,
Sister Yancey
Yan Jie Mei


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original m

No comments:

Post a Comment