Tuesday, February 22, 2011

First Letter from Sister Yancey!

Hello!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you to those of you who have emailed me!  It is so fun and encouraging to get mail.  Tell everyone to useDEARELDER.COM!  It is the best getting mail everyday!  I can't send pictures via email here..  I will have to print them out and snail mail them.
I have to be quick because this email systems limits my time to 25 minutes (that includes reading emails sent to this address) and then it locks me out whether I have sent an email or not.  I am so happy that I am a missionary, and I recieve confirmation everyday that this is where I am supposed to be.  That is not to say that this is easy.  Being a missionary is hard work.  I have never been so busy in my life.  When I got to the MTC, a host got me my books and showed me my room.  I met my companion shortly after arriving, Sister Meg Jorgensen.  I love her!  She is perfect for me and so funny.  She is going to Taipei.  She is 22 and from Kaysville, majoring in Dance Education at BYU, is really good friends with Jasmine Gille, and is engaged!  The Lord works in mysterious ways.  Everyone in the Chinese program is going to Taiwan, except for me and one elder, Elder Vatcher.  We are both going to NYNY-North.  At first I felt jealous that everyone is going to Taiwan, but I know that the Lord needs me in New York.  My Branch President said something cool too.  He said that he has been here for a while and they have never sent an English speaking sister to my mission for Chinese since he has been here.  That made me feel special, and the Lord has confidence in my abilities.  People who already speak Chinese are usually called there. 
I live in a room with 5 other girls, they are going to Taichung, Taiwan.  It is definitely tight quarters but big enough for our needs.  I am on a top bunk.  Hehe!  Everyone in my district is going to Taipei but me.  It is me and my companion (tongban) and four jianglao (elders).  My zone has about 40 people in it and that is my ward. The food is good.  There are a lot of delicious options.  Don't worry mom, I am eating lots of fresh foods.  Our schedule is jam packed.  We got started learning chinese the moment I got to my class.  I can bear my testimony now and say a simple prayer.  It is crazy.  I think about Chinese constantly, and I even dream about it.  In my dreams though, it is mostly jibberish.  Hahha!  I am a bit overwhelmed with learning Chinese.  It is super hard, but I know that the Lord is helping.  When I look back over the past couple of days and all that I know in Chinese already, I can see the Lord's miracle working in action.  It is so amazing!  I got a Chinese name.  It is Yan Jie Mei.  (Sister Yan)!  Cool, huh! 
I teach my first lesson in Chinese on Saturday, and I am super scared.  I know I can do it though.  There simply are not enough hours in the day.  My favorite part of the day is Personal Study.  If you seek the Lord, he will send you blessings.  I have truely been blessed.  This is going to be the best thing ever.
I ship out to New York on May 3, 2011.  It seems so soon. I haven't met anyone else going to New York except Elder Vatcher, because I associate mostly with Chinese speaking missionaries. 
I went to the Temple this morning and I felt so strongly of the love that the Lord has for each and every one of us.  This truely is the Lord's work.  I know that as I stay close to the Spirit, the Lord will direct me.  I love you all, and I thank you for your support! 
Love,
Yan Jie Mei
(Sister Meg Yancey)


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of

No comments:

Post a Comment