Monday, April 11, 2011

Hen Hao de libai

Ni Hao Wode Jiaren!
 
This week was really good.  I have learned a lot about myself and I felt good most of the week.  I am starting to get along really great with my new companion, and I can see now that this was for my good, the changes.  I am trying to learn how to be open but not too open.  President Baker, my branch president, told me that my openness is one of my best qualities, and my investigators will appreciate that.  I am learning where the balance is.  I am also learning how to be socially and emotionally independent, in a good way.  :o)
 
I am working on managing my anxiety still.  I read a great scripture last night in JS-History 1:15-16.  When Joseph was in the sacred grove, the power of the Satan came upon him.  He exerted all of his energies to call upon God to deliver him from the power of the evil one.  That is what we need to do when we are feeling the influence of Satan in our lives.  When we sincerely ask the Lord for help, he will not abandon us in our time of need.  He loves us so much, and wants to help us.  God gives us weaknesses so that we can come closer to him.  In Choir the other day, we sang a song that I had never heard of, by Janice Kapp Perry.  I loved the lyrics.  It's called "I Marvel at the Miracle."  I especially liked the second verse: "I wearied at my weaknesses, And trials filled my days.  I cried out; Lord, my burden's hard, Is there no other way?  He said, I give men weaknesses, And if they come to me, I give them strength to overcome, And I will make them free."  What a great song!  We are always told to make the Lord our best friend.  I am striving to be congruent with that concept.  In relief society yesterday, the speaker said that "your mission is the MTC for the rest of your life."  I am trying to learn and absorb as much as I can from this experience.  I constantly think about how lucky I am to be serving a mission.  The Lord has blessed me so much and I am so grateful for this most wonderful gift. 
 
People keep telling me that my Chinese is getting better.  That makes me feel so happy.  I started to learn characters this week.  I only know a few, but I want to be able to read the Book of Mormon in Chinese by the time I come home.  My laoshi pulled me aside the other day and told me that he is pleased with my SYL-ing (Speaking my Language), and that my Chinese is improving.  He also said that I am a good influence for those around me, and that he can tell that I am working hard.  It always feels good to receive compliments.  I feel grateful that I have a companion that has good Chinese so that I can learn from her. 
 
Sister Jorgensen and I found a pianist, and we re-auditioned for a Special Musical Number.  They loved us again and the arrangement that our pianist Sister Sorensen (we call her Ms. Mozart) created.  We were asked to sing today at a Senior Couple Orientation Meeting.  I am excited.  Yesterday, our musical number in Sacrament meeting fell through, so Sister Jorgensen and I sang our song, "Nearer, My God, to Thee" there also.  I love singing!  It feels so good!  People like to hear us and that feels good too!  People were so nice and told us that we sounded like angels.  :o)
 
I got my orthotics a few days ago.  They feel great.  When I wear them, my feet don't hurt anymore.
 
I was asked by my laoshi the other day where I am from.  He told me that I have a subtle Southern accent.  I thought that was kind of funny.  Hehe!
 
About a week ago, I started to get sick of my long hair.  It was past my elbows, and took too long to do in the mornings.  I spontaneously decided to cut it.  I got it cut on Thursday.  It is so short now!  I cut over a foot off.  It doesn't even touch my shoulders!  Everyone likes it a lot and they tell me that I look more professional and mature.  I like it too!  And I can do my hair so fast now in the mornings.  Pictures to come! 
 
Sister Reid and I got a new investigator.  Her name is Lin and she is the sister of one of our other investigators.  Teaching people about Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ is the best thing I have ever done.  It is so amazing for someone to come to know God, and how this knowledge can change their lives.  The Spirit is the greatest teacher.  I am its student everyday.  I love it when our lessons feel like a spiritual powerhouse.  I know at those times that the Spirit is testifying to the hearts of our investigators the truth of what we are teaching.  I love being a missionary!
 
Thank you so much for everyone's love and support.  I love you!  God loves you! 
 
Til next week!
 
Yan Jiemei


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments:

Post a Comment