Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Another Interesting Week


Ni Hao!!!
 
Another interesting week. 
 
Chinatown is definitely a different world.  Once or twice a week, we leave Chinatown for something.  The rest of New York City is so different.  I feel like I am in two different cities.  Chinatown feels like China/Taiwan.  Not many people speak English, and if they do, it is broken English. 
 
My shower is fixed.  Yea for warm showers!  I took a cool shower yesterday though, because I was so hot.  Hehe!
 
Chinese is still a struggle.  I have a testimony of SYL (Speak Your (Mission) Language).  I was talking to a member in my branch, and he said that as long as my Chinese is better than last week, I am doing fine.  It is.  :o)  I finally got my Chinese language materials. 
 
My mission president got word of some problems I had a few years ago.  It caused him some concern and Church Headquarters got contacted.  There was a scare for a few days that I could possibly get sent home.  They don't normally send people with a history of ED on missions.  It is very risky, given how high the recidivism rate is.  The thing is though, that was then and I am doing great now.  My history doesn't define me.  Church Headquarters said that they are worried that it could turn into a huge problem, given the stressful nature of a mission.  I understand that, and where they are coming from.  But I am doing great.  My Mission President is pushing to keep me in the field.  I am grateful to have an advocate.  If it weren't for him, I would be on my way home.  President Smith said that there has got to be a reason why I am here, and a reason that I did make it to the field.  I know that God wanted me to serve a mission, and at this time in my life.  I know that there is a purpose for me to be here, on a mission, and in New York, Chinatown.  I am really excited to slowly figure it out and see the miracles unravel with the people here coming unto Christ. 
 
Sister Chen and I had more success this week.  We have two new investigators!  Our first two investigators!  I am pretty stoked.  Our first one, is a student from our English class.  Her name is Ping.  She is from China, and has been in America for 9 years, working at a spa.  We had two English classes on Monday, and after the first class she decided to stay and wait two hours at the church til the next class started.  I decided to chat with her.  And when Sister Chen came over, we taught her most of the principles from the first lesson.  I don't know if she has much interest, but she said that everything sounds so lovely and beautiful.  We have a followup appointment with her on Friday.  I have high hopes for her. 
 
The other one, Sister Chen met while contacting on Sunday evening.  We contact a lot in Chinatown.  Sometimes we bring a table with pamphlets, DVDs and Mo'ermonjing.  We have a huge poster inviting people to learn English, and another one with a picture of Jesus Christ inviting people to learn about our Church.  A man came by and started asking Sister Chen about our Church.  Then he said that his nephew would probably be interested and called him up.  His nephew came by and seemed interested.  (We set up appointments with both of them.  We haven't met with the uncle yet.)  His nephew's name is Zheng Hui.  He asked us if our church has a test to be baptized.  He tried to get baptized in another church and failed the test so he couldn't.  We told him that we have an interview, and if he met with us to learn and commited to live the commandments, he could be baptized.  He seemed pretty happy.  We met with him on Monday.  It was a great lesson, and interactive.  He asked us a lot of questions and seemed very interested.  He was pretty golden.  We set up another appointment for tomorrow.  Sad thing though, he texted us last night and said that he just got a job in Minnesota and is leaving.  Goodbye Golden Boy.  Sister Chen told me that that happens a lot and not to feel discouraged.  She said he will probably be back everyonce in a while. 
 
I can see the Lord's blessings flowing.  I am so grateful that I can be a missionary.  You xinxin, you banfa.  (If you have faith, there will be a way.)  If we work hard, the Lord will bless us with people to teach. 
 
I hope everyone is doing well.  I love you all so much!
 
Yan Jiemei


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments:

Post a Comment